Or should I say, Merry Christmas from snowy New York? BOO!
(see what I did there?)
Anyway, my office had a Halloween Bake-Off on Friday and with the help of Pinterest, I decided to make these cute little owls. Sadly, I didn’t win. The girl who won made a delicious dessert… that wasn’t in any way related to Halloween. And all of the entries were supposed to be Halloween themed! Now don’t get me wrong, these little owls are yummy- but if we were going for a real down-and-out Bake-Off battle, I would have made something with a little more culinary flair! (Not that I’m bitter about not winning or anything…)
Moving on, here’s what you’ll need to make these cute little owls:
– Chocolate cupcakes (I used the beyond delicious recipe from Butter Lane, found here)
– Reese’s Pieces
*A note about the Oreos. To make the owl’s eyes, you need two Oreo halves with the full cream filling. I found prying apart the Oreos to be the most challenging part of this recipe, probably because I got regular stuffed Oreos. I wound up having to use 2 Oreo’s for each set of eyes rather than being able to use 1 Oreo for each set of eyes. So I’d recommend just buying the double-stuffed Oreo’s to make your life a little bit easier.
1. Bake Chocolate Cupcakes (duh)
2. After frosting cupcakes, place Oreo halves onto cupcake.
3. Place 2 brown Reese’s Pieces in the middle of the ‘whites of the eyes.’ Tip: I used a little drop of frosting to keep the Reese’s in place. And sidenote: Maybe it was just my bag of Reese’s Pieces, but I found that the brown to yellow and orange ratio oddly slim. Where’s the love for the brown Reese’s Pieces?
4. Add orange Reese’s in the middle of the Oreo halves for the owl’s beak.
5. Wahla! Step back, enjoy your handiwork, and hope that everyone in your office bake-off plays by the rules. (again, not like I’m bitter or anything)
After making the owls, I was left with an entire package of non-cream Oreo halves. And a ton of Reese’s Pieces. I didn’t want to throw the extra cookies and candy out, (Oreo’s are whoa expensive!) but I didn’t want the cookies and candy tempting me in my apartment… so I made… THE HODGE PODGE COOKIE.
Hodge Podge Cookie (adapted from pinch of yum’s peanut butter pretzel cookies)
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 3 handfuls crushed pretzels, 1/2 cup Reese’s Pieces, and a package of leftover Oreo’s*
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together until very light. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Drop Oreo’s, crushed pretzels, and Reese’s Pieces in and incorporate them.
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoon balls onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes.
- When you take the cookies out of the oven, sprinkle with sea salt!
*The original recipe I found called for chocolate chips. But guess what? Oreo’s are what I had, so Oreo’s are what I used. This recipe is all about combining the sweet and salty (hence the added sprinkle of sea salt at the end)- just use whatever is in your cabinets to make HODGE PODGE cookies! 🙂